Electric Traction Important MCQ PDF Part 1
1. Which of the following is an advantage of electric traction over other methods of traction ?
(a) Faster acceleration
(b) No pollution problems
(c) Better braking action
(d) All of these
2. Which of the following is the voltage for single phase A.C. system ?
(a) 22 V
(b) 440 V
(c) 5 kV
(d) 15 kV
3. Long distance railways use which of the following ?
(a) 200 V D.C.
(b) 25 kV single phase A.C.
(c) 25 kV two phase A.C.
(d) 25 kV three phase A.C.
4. The speed of a locomotive is controlled by
(b) gear box
(c) applying brakes
(d) regulating steam flow to engine
5. Main traction systems used in India are, those using
(a) electric locomotives
(b) diesel engine locomotives
(c) steam engine locomotives
(d) diesel electric locomotives
(e) all of these
6, in India diesel locomotives are manufactured at
7. For diesel locomotives the range of horsepower is
(a) 50 to 200
(b) 500 to 1000
(c) 1500 to 2500
(d) 3000 to 5000
8. _______ locomotive has the highest operational availability.
(d) All of these
9. The horsepower of steam locomotives is
(a) up to 1500
(b) 1500 to 2000
(c) 2000 to 3000
(d) 3000 to 4000
10. The overall efficiency of steam locomotive is around
(a) 5 to 10 percent
(b) 15 to 20 percent
(c) 25 to 35 percent
(d) 35 to 45 percent
11. In tramways which of the following motors is used ?
(a) D.C. shunt motor
(b) D.C. series motor
(c) A.C. three phase motor
(d) AC. single phase capacitor start motor
12. In a steam locomotive electric power is provided through
(a) overhead wire
(b) battery system
(c) small turbo-generator
(d) diesel engine generator
13. Which of the following drives is suitable for mines where explosive gas exists ?
(a) Steam engine
(b) Diesel engine
(c) Battery locomotive
(d) Any of these
14. In case of locomotives the tractive power is provided by
(a) single cylinder double acting steam engine
(b) double cylinder, single acting steam engine
(c) double cylinder, double acting steam engine
(d) single stage steam turbine
15. Overload capacity of diesel engines is usually restricted to
(a) 2 percent
(b) 10 percent
(c) 20 percent
(d) 40 percent
16. In case of steam engines the steam pressure is
(a) 1 to 4 kgf/cm²
(b) 5 to 8 kgf/cm²
(c) 10 to 15 kgf/cm²
(d) 25 to 35 kgf/cm²
17. The steam engine provided on steam locomotives is
(a) single acting condensing type
(b) single acting non-condensing type
(e) double acting condensing type
(d) double acting non-condensing type
18. Electric locomotives in India are manufactured at
19. The wheels of a train, engine as well as bogies, are slightly tapered to
(a) reduce friction
(b) increase friction
(c) facilitate braking
(d) facilitate in taking turns
20. Automatic signaling is used for which of the following trains ?
(a) Mail and express trains
(b) Superfast trains
(c) Suburban and Urban electric trains
(d) All trains
21. The efficiency of diesel locomotives is nearly
(a) 20 to 25 percent
(b) 30 to 40 percent
(c) 45 to 55 percent
(d) 60 to 70 percent
22. The speed of a superfast train is
(a) 60 kmph
(b) 75 kmph
(c) 100 kmph
(d) more than 100 kmph
23. The number of passenger coaches that can be attached to a diesel engine locomotive on broad gauge is usually restricted to
24. Which of the following state capitals is not on broad gauge track ?
25. Which of the following is the advantage of electric braking ?
(a) It avoids wear of track
(b) Motor continues to remain loaded during braking
(c) It is instantaneous
(d) More heat is generated during braking